Wednesday, March 31, 2010

7 Questions with Artist Chris Reed


Encaustic by Chris Reed

1. What do you do when you're not feeling creative? How do you get back in your groove?

I rarely am in a deficit for creative energy. When I'm looking for that extra boost, meditation provides the stillness and concentration to be more engaged in the present moment.

2. Do you think creativity is innate or learned or both?

I believe creativity is innate in all of us, yet can be greatly augmented through our connection to the environment and one another, which is the best education.

3. What has been your biggest influence or inspiration in the past? Currently?

In addition to other artists, the natural environment has always been inspiring to my painting. More recently, architectural decay, including the effects of oxidation have complemented my process as well.


Encaustic by Chris Reed

4. How do you feel living in Maine affects your work?

The natural beauty of Maine and slow pace of life is very nurturing for being an artist that I appreciate more all the time.

5. Who is/who are your favorite artist/artists? What do you love about them or their art?

Jasper Johns, Anselm Kiefer, and Gerhard Richter are at the forefront of my artistic influences. I am most intrigued by their tactile and applicatory use of the painting medium.

6. If you could take a vacation anywhere, where would go and what would you do?

I would embark on a trip to either the Greek Islands or the Tuscany region of Italy to capture the stunning light.

7. What's your best advice to beginning artists?

My best advice to beginning artists: Always be mindful of the beauty that awaits.

*

Chris Reed graduated from Bowdoin with a degree in Visual Arts. Chris has exhibited in Portland Galleries and taught at The New School in Kennebunk and Saco/OOB Adult Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment