Monday, January 25, 2010

7 Questions with Artist Russel Whitten


Large Abstract #2, Russel Whitten

1. What do you do when you're not feeling creative? How do you get back in your groove?

Inspiration is everywhere, so this rarely happens to me. When it does happen, looking at other artists work will often trigger an emotion, or give me an idea I can jump off from to use in my own painting.

2. Do you think creativity is innate or learned or both?

There is no question that some people are born with a creative intuition. I don't think creativity is something one can learn, but rather the furthering of education will add to their creative spirit. The only other trick to being creative is the following through with the ideas and prevent from standing in your own way.

Self Portrait, Russel Whitten

3. What has been your biggest influence or inspiration in the past? Currently?

Other Artists and minds that think outside the box.

4. How do you feel living in Maine affects your work?

This is an interesting question, for it's something I never considered. I graduated from Old Orchard Beach and at that time I knew I was going to be an artistic painter. I always found myself looking elsewhere for something to paint. (New York, Italy, London...) I honestly had little appreciation for Maine until I returned from New York after a year studying at The Art Students League. I feel like I had a new perspective, and still do to some degree, on everyday life around me. As a result I am finding interest in painting subjects I never would had considered otherwise.


Drawing Class, Russel Whitten


5. Who is/who are your favorite artist/artists? What do you love about them or their art?

To me, the thing that makes a good artist is they inspire you to take up that craft and try it yourself. I think when we hear music that moves us, we want to sing or play along. When I see a Degas, I want to work in Pastel. When I see a Rembrandt or an Anders Zorn, I want to etch in copper. Artists that inspire me are Lucian Freud, Andrew Wyeth and William de Kooning.

Now as of this week, I have a new favorite artist and it's my 2 year old daughter Adora. For a number of months she has been playing with watercolor media and enjoying the mix of colors and water on all shapes and sizes of paper I have provided her with. Seeing that she has the honesty and pleasure that can be found in all good art making makes her by far my most inspirational source.

6. If you could take a vacation anywhere, where would go and what would you do?

Florence or Giza. I would spend time in Museums and temples if I could, and start each day with a painting.

See full size image See full size image

7. What's your best advice to beginning artists?

To be an artist is to be inspired. I find it important to take time for it everyday. I tell my students that taking 5 minutes a day to sketch out an idea is better then a 3 hour class once a week. Follow it through, for once you have it, it will never let you down.


The Crash, Russel Whitten


Thanks for playing Russ! We hope to continue with Artist interviews so check back!

Russ teaches adult education classes and has a drawing class starting in February. Contact Saco/OOB Adult Ed or check out our past blog for more information.

-Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment