Saturday, September 12, 2009

Not Another Color Blog: Mehndi


I think I'll take a break from exploring color (though it is the quickest, least expensive way to change a space). Instead I am exploring Mehndi, thanks to Jim and Jenna. Okay, so I did not know what Mehndi was, though I am a huge Bollywood fan.

I have always been intrigued by the bride's (there's always a bride in a Bollywood film) painted hands. There seems to be such ceremony and affection, as the bride's hands are lovingly decorated with rich brown, rust or red henna shades by the women in her own family and those of her groom's. It is art and an intense communal effort at the same time.

So...Jim and Jen were making the rounds at the First Friday Art Walk in Portland. They met an amazing artist, Nev, and were totally enchanted by her and her intricate art. On their return to the shop, Jim showed me her promo card with her website: ReMarkable Blackbird and now I find myself immersed in her henna creations, researching Mehndi to my heart's content.


As I close this blog, I am going to steal a quote because it perfectly sums up my new found appreciation of an ancient art form: "Henna art is ephemeral and enduring...a journey of beauty, love, joy and luck." This is what Nev is exhibiting on her website and on her hands in her open studios on First Fridays in Portland.
-Kathryn
Note: All photos are Nev's. This is her beautiful work!

No comments:

Post a Comment